Process: All Ribbons End: Draft screening and ADR recording

After the dialogue edit I organized a draft screening with the film group. This had many advantages, it meant I could hear the project in another set of speakers and get personal feedback from the director and group. After screening the film, the group were impressed with what I did in a short space of time. There were a few things that were mentioned including levels of Foley, and sound design for the phone call. However I had told them prior to the meeting that this was a very rough draft and far from finished.

After this we recorded some ADR for the bingo scene in the film. The editor (Jordan) volunteered to be the voice. Because I didn’t have access to any of the university facilities as they were fully booked I set up a ‘make shift’ portable studio. This involved using the ‘Zoom H4’ as an audio interface that worked through Pro Tools. I used a cheap Dynamic vocal microphone as this would reproduce a similar sound to what an actual bingo caller would use. Once this was recorded, I processed it straight away to see if the director was happy with the sound of it. I added artificial reverb, panned it a bit to the left and boosted some of the low-mid frequencies to give it a more boomy room sound effect. This worked really well and the group seemed very impressed with the speed and quality of the result.